TOP FIVE FACTS
- The general consensus is that gorillas can’t swim
- In the wild they sometimes use rivers as dividing lines between territories
- Gorillas have ventured into deep-water moats around their enclosures in zoos and drowned
- Many animals make the same movement in water as they would when walking or running on land (like doggy paddle), but for gorillas (like humans) the movement does not come naturally
- Thomas M. Greiner, assistant professor of anatomy and physical anthropology at New York Chiropractic College, suspects gorillas could learn to swim in a similar way to humans but adds: “As far as I know, no one has ever thrown a gorilla into the water and watched what happened” (it may look something like this).
Want more evidence?
Thomas Greiner and his swimming gorilla theory
Dead Gorilla to be added to Gunther von Hagens Body Worlds (drowning incident)
This is not a real gorilla
Tomb Raider Anniversary – Drowned gorilla
Have you seen one swim? Let us know below.