TOP FIVE FACTS
- Although ostriches are the largest and heaviest of birds, they can swim
- As with other birds, their hollow bones and feathers help keep them buoyant
- Most of their body is submerged when they swim, with just a small portion of their back and their long neck and head out of water
- Wild ostriches have been spotted swimming in the sea off South Africa
- Powerful leg muscles that can deliver the kind of kick that can kill a lion also come in handy during the freestyle
Want more evidence?
Have you seen one swim? Let us know below.